Saturday 15 April 2017

Breakfast with bills

I really don’t know how I ended up with the great obsession with Australia. Honestly, I don’t know, but just because I have it I bought this cookbook by Bill Granger some time ago.

It features recipes from Bill’s cafe in Darlinghurst. Well, I had never heard about it before. That also means consequently, I had never been there myself. You, know, it’s just that Australia obsession again.
The book says on the back cover: “The only bills cookbook you’ll ever need.” Well, I’m not so sure whether this is a good strategy. How are they ever supposed to do a Bills Sydney Food 2? Then maybe, they never wanted to anyway.
Again, I don’t know. What I am sure about is, I had plans to go to that place myself, once I get to Sydney. In fact that is what I did ... and I also enjoyed it very much.
Just before that, I wanted to make sure, I tried as many recipes from the book as time, motivation, health(?) and ingredients permit.
For sure it will bring some great variations in the breakfast, lunch and dinner department, especially the breakfast department, which is usually quite limited … cereals or a few slices of bread. That doesn’t have to be like that.
Along that line I tried a few recipes from the book …

That’s an Open-faced omelette with fresh tomato, emmenthal and rocket. So, it wouldn’t be too hard, to put that up once in a while for breakfast.
Next we have …

… we have Banana maple porridge with buttere apples. Delicious, although I didn’t manage to make it look so good on the photo. Maybe I should have used a similar perspective as in the book.
Finally, for today I have tried this one …

… Pan-toasted sandwich with tomato & fontina. That was my favourite one so far. Honestly, I didn’t use fontina cheese in this one, but another creamy and tasty one. In fact, the lady at the cheese counter couldn’t even make something of the name Fontina.
Well, that’s the way it is.
If you want to have this for breakfast, though, you have to get up early. The recipe says, you have to mix 100 ml olive oil, 4 chopped cloves of garlic, 1 chopped red chilli, salt and pepper together and then marinate slices of tomatoes for two hours in it. So you have to get up ahead … or have someone else do it for you. Sorry, I had no chance for that.
After that time, you brush one side of the bread slices with some of the oil from the tomatoes, put slices of cheese on that. Then come basil leaves, the tomatoes and another slice of bread.
Now you only have to melt butter in a pan and … of course … toast the bread in it. Why else would you call it pan-toasted sandwiches.
Finally you can eat the hot sandwiches.

Those don’t look too different than in the book. There only the cheese oozes a bit more. Maybe because it is fontina? Or maybe due to other unknown reasons? Whatever, no worries.
I reckon, the stage is set. Roughly, you have an idea of what still is to come. 
If you liked this post, keep on the lookout for more breakfast with bills or even lunch or dinner with bills.
Hm … what is this … I smell … baked goods, I smell coconut … I catch you later then …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.