Wednesday 16 April 2014

Warning: Extremely Delicious Vegetable Lasagne


Ha, you weren't expecting this. You thought this crazy guy would give you another one from his loose bottomed tart tin. Nope! Instead I give you something from the bottom of my heart and i hope you will love it too. Today I have a vegetable lasagne for you. 
Simple? Yes, but be warned, in my opinion this vegetable lasagne tastes extremely delicious. Of course, I have to say this, but there is only one way to prove me wrong. You would have to try it for yourself. Besides that, you will also find some ... eh ... what to call them ... eh ... let's try ... twists and an unexpected ingredient.
Less talking more cooking ...

Ingredients:
6 lasagne sheets
1 medium aubergine
2 small courgettes
A few splashes of olive oil
1 large tomato
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp. tomato puree
100 ml water
50 ml red wine vinegar
A few basil leaves
Salt and pepper
200 ml crème fraîche
1 egg
A hand full of grated parmesan
3 tbsp. grated radish

Method:
The times I made a vegetable lasagne before, was to cook all the vegetables into a kind of sauce. However, we are not doing this today. We like to preserve the pure individual tastes of the single vegetables ... at least most of them. I was inspired to do it in a different way by watching an episode of MasterChef Australia.
Therefore we cut the aubergine and the courgettes in a way they fit to the lasagne sheets, that is they are going to be cut into fine slices. Then get a baking tray ready with some grease proof paper and heat up your oven to 180 ºC.
Be generous with salt to the sliced vegetables. Off into the oven they go for about 15-20 minutes. Just make sure, they don't get burned.
Meanwhile get your tomato sauce ready. Get a pan ready on heat. Be generous again. This time with olive oil in the pan. The ancient principle 'those who give bountifully, will receive bountifully' still applies.
Cut the tomato in small chunks and throw them into the hot oil to let them sizzle away. Finely chop your clove of garlic and toss it into the oil as well. When you start to smell the beautiful odour of the garlic on your kitchen add the tomato puree, the water and the red wine vinegar. Go through the sauce with a spoon and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. On a low heat reduce the sauce for a while. When the sauce is thick enough and you are almost finished use the basil leaves to finish off the sauce.
Before we can start putting the lasagne together we have two more jobs to do. The fist one is to pre-cook the lasagne sheets in boiling salted water for about three minutes. The second job is to prepare some kind of white sauce to put between the layers.
For this white sauce we simply ... yes, very simply ... spoon together, the crème fraîche, the egg, the parmesan and the grated radish. Well, I suppose you could use horseradish, too. 
Anyway, I used to have radish when I was way younger and then ... didn't have it for a long time. Due to the fact, that radish is in season right now, I thought I give it a go again. For sure I had something in mind for it, but I just ended up eating most of it raw. So far I never had used radish in cooking. Bravely I decided to grate some of it into my white sauce for my vegetable lasagne. Well, it worked ... well.
After this brief detour into my use of radish we get back to our lasagne. We are almost there.
Now get yourself a 20 cm x 20 cm oven-proof dish. Remember that the oven is still at 180 ºC. We start the lasagne with a splash of olive oil that you rub onto the bottom of your dish. Then a few slices of aubergine follow, two sheets of lasagne, white sauce, courgette, white sauce, lasagne sheet, aubergine courgette, white sauce, lasagne sheets and white sauce.
Well it all depends on the amount of sliced vegetables you have. Feel free to change things a tiny little bit. Just make sure, you have three layers of lasgane sheets.
Before the vegetable lasagne goes into the oven, grate some extra parmesan on top and while you are at it allow some olive oil to be drizzled on it, too.
The lasagne should go into the oven for about 15-20 minutes. It may look like this afterwards ...


You see, there is a bit of colour on it. If you want more, you have to give more. This vegetable lasagne will make for four humble portions, but be warned ... I said it before ... it tastes extremely delicious. So you might want to plan ahead for this.
Whatsoever. serve the lasagne with a few spoons of the tomato sauce on top.


You know, if you add more sauce there is more of it to enjoy and it will all drip onto your plate and you might want to do something with the plate later.
In my opinion, this vegetable lasagne was the best I had so far. You can still taste the aubergine and the courgette individual and you have a gorgeous tomato sauce, too.


I can only recommend to try it for yourself. I might be wrong here, but ... you'll never know if you don't go for it.

Speaking of going for it, this post will go to some blog challenges in no particular order ...

Elizabeth's No Waste Food challenge hosted by Ness at Jibber Jabber UK this month. Fine, I would never have thrown the remaining radish away, but here I used the left over radish in a delicious way.


Javelin Warrior's Made with Love Mondays. Check it out for yourself!

JWsMadeWLuvMondays

Helen's and Michelle's Extra Veg Blog Challenge. If I haven't used some extra veg here, I don't know and then again, I used the radish as I have never used it before.

Extra Veg Badge-003

Camilla's Credit Crunch Munch. Having a vegetarian meal with vegetables either on offer or in season or both will help you to save some money.

Credit Crunch Munch

Manjiri's and Jacqueline's Pasta Please challenge. The theme for April is Olive Oil. No, I wasn't especially generous with it because of this challenge. I just wanted to and found it necessary for the sauce to work properly.

pasta please

The Four Seasons Food April Challenge from Delicieux and Eat Your Veg. The goal was to celebrate vegetables. In my opinion ... again ... this is what this very vegetable lasagne is doing.


Then we have the Simple and in Season challenge from Ren. Do I have to say it again that radish is in season?

Simple and in Season NOW OPEN

Just because I can, I add this post to Recipe of the Week from Emily, too.

Link up your recipe of the week

Last but not least we have Karen's Cooking with Herbs challenge. Guess why?

Cooking with Herbs Challenge for April

16 comments:

  1. I love a good veggie lasagne and this one sounds delicious, especially with the eggplant and zucchini. The radish is a creative twist and I'm sure also adds a lovely bite to the dish... Very tasty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Javelin. The key for the eggplant and zucchini is to get the right amount of seasoning or otherwise the taste will not be as good.

      Delete
  2. This sounds lovely. I haven't seen it done like that before. Just to check - you don't put any of the tomato sauce in the lasagne, just over the top afterwards? I've been craving lasagne in the last few days - may have to give this a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I just put the tomato sauce over the top afterwards. Inside the lasagne I am satisfied with the white sauce. I hope you enjoy it, when you give it a go!

      Delete
  3. Oh Christian, I'm sold, I don't make lasagne often enough and yours sounds fantastic. Thank you for entering Credit Crunch Munch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Camilla. I don't make lasagne that often, either, I think and I guess, if I want a vegetable version, I most probably go for that one again.

      Delete
  4. Anything with aubergine gets the thumbs up from me! Thanks for linking up again with this month's No Waste Food Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aubergine is so lovely. That's why I just bought some today ...

      Delete
  5. Goodness, what a lot of challenges. I think everyone must be very pleased though, I know I would be if your vegetable lasagne was sent to me, it looks delicious indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did the best I could. I wanted to do it like that at least once. Sorry, I found no way of sneaking in some chocolate in any kind of form. I'll get something else delicious for that later then ...

      Delete
  6. I love everything about this lasagne, it looks gorgeous! I don't often make lasagne, but I really feel inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can put those vegetables in dishes together in other ways, too, but I personally feel that this is one of the most delicious way to do so. It tastes so clean and ... yummy!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous and tempting recipe and that radish hiding in there is sheer genius! I am so tempted by the distinct flavours the cheesy goodness and the dripping sauce I want to make it now! Thanks for linking up with April's #PastaPlease challenge! Cheers,Manjiri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, also for having the #PastaPlease challenge. It has been a pleasure.

      Delete
  8. For some reason this is the third comment I am trying to leave! One last try.... Lovely dish Christian...I love veggie lasagne and I think the idea of using vegetables like big slices next to the pasta sounds great. With grated radish in the sauce? So very interesting! Thanks for entering Four Seasons Food x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good it worked out after the third time, although it would be better it had worked the first time. Thank you, Anneli, I didn't regret anything with this lasagne. It's really lovely way to put it together.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.