Saturday 4 January 2014

Houston, we have no problem - we are having Steak with Pesto

"Houston, Houston, do you read? We have no problem ..."
The same old subject - I haven't made a secret out of it, I like rocket. Yes once again I'm not really talking about spacecraft and the lot, although I thought of scanning some of the photos from my visit to Cape Canaveral, but ... honestly ... I have absolutely no clue where I have put those photos and I am absolutely ... honestly ... not the mood to go searching for them. Therefore, Eruca Sativa has to do. Well, you might want to call it arugula, but ... yes ... honestly ... I prefer the name rocket and I have absolute no intention of bothering you with the fact it belongs to the Brassicaceae family. No, I am not even going to mention that it is rich in vitamin C and potassium and the ancient Romans thought it to be an aphrodisiac. Oopsy, I did mention all that now, while the only thing I wanted to tell you was that I like to eat rocket. I show you ...


Oh, you didn't see it? Let me assure you, though, that rocket is included in this picture. I will tell you more ...

I bought some rocket to have it in salad, but didn't manage to eat it all up, while it was still fresh and nice and lovely.
Therefore, I needed a plan B ... no problem. What to do with leftover rocket? I always do pesto. I have Parmesan cheese always in stock, so no big deal. However, I didn't want to get pine nuts, because they tend to be expensive. I decided to give it a go with roasted and salted cashews. Hm, that could end up a bit tricky. It could get quite salty and ... it did for a few moments, but undeterred ...

Get your blender ready and chuck in the rocket leaves and, if you like and have some basil eaves, too. Add some chopped up garlic and at least a hand full of Parmesan. A squeeze of lemon will do no harm. Use olive oil to get the right consistency. Season generously with pepper and no salt. Blend, blend, blend, blend, blend until you get it right. Taste. Ah, too salty!
What now?
Hm! Add a wee bit of honey and ... get rid of the saltiness and get a slight tendency towards sweetness. A bit balancing here and there and ... we got no problem anymore.

While you can have pesto with pasta nicely, you are not limited to it. See the possibilities and ... go for it. I had some potato and cheese galette ready, too. Then a buttery steak added to the plate and we have a lovely meal. You can use the Rocket and Cashew Pesto wonderfully with the steak and everything is fine. Houston, we have no problem, but dinner.



Now I was really happy the rocket was used up properly. I would really have hated to throw it away. I reckon, in general there should be no need to waste food.

Well ... eh ... yes ... therefore, I also add this post to the No Waste Food Challenge.


You find it over at Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. Make sure to head over and fetch some more inspiration to use it all up ... the food. So, you don't have to go to outer space ...

2 comments:

  1. Superb! A very creative and tasty way to use up wilting rocket. Your meal looks so mouthwatering I just want to jump in the photo and start eating! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.