Saturday 25 January 2014

Fully Fed - Pulled Pork with Herb and Beer Cheese Buns

I know, there are quite a lot of things I haven't tried before. There is still a lot of food on my list to feed on ... eh to try, cook and eat. Sometimes I think, I should be cooking all day. Eh, well, for some thing you nearly have to do this literally, like for example pulled pork. An acquaintance talked about it, that he wanted to try it and then I saw something lovely on the net somewhere that encouraged me to try it, finally.
So I had a bit of a look on how to do it and then I had a go ...



Together with the pulled pork I wanted to have some Herb and Beer Cheesebuns.

It started the day before, when I got myself a 1,5 kg piece f pork shoulder.



First of all, I rubbed it with a ready smoky sticky BBQ sauce.



Then I rubbed the piece of meat with some mustard.



Next followed a rub made of 2 tsp. lemon salt, 1 tsp. sweet paprika, 1 tsp. cayenne pepper and 1 tsp. dried garlic.



Afterwards, I wrapped the meat in cling film and put it into the fridge overnight.
The next day I started with preparing some coleslaw with white cabbage, carrots, mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
Now it was  time to go back to the meat. I heated the oven up to 120 °C. I unwrapped the meat and put it onto a tray, which I had laid out with aluminium foil.
Off the meat went into the oven. Somewhere I read, the meat should stay 1 hour in the oven for every pound of meat, but I already planned on leaving it longer for elsewhere I read something about leaving it 7 hours in the oven.
Anyway, meanwhile I prepared a sauce I would use for basting the meat with later on for a couple of times. For the sauce I used 80 ml vinegar, 40 ml water, 1 finely chopped chilli with seeds, 2 tbsp. tomato puree, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. black pepper and 1 tsp. salt.
After two hours I gave the meat some of the sauce.


I repeated the basting every 40 minutes after that. It went on for at least three more hours.
During that time, I focused on the Herb and Beer Cheese Buns.
For them I used 500 g of flout, 300 ml beer, a pinch of salt, 100 g grated cheese and 50 g of mixed herbs (whatever you like). Now I have to say right away, while I thought the yeast of the beer would be sufficient, I would advice to use 7 g of dried yeast in addition.
Those ingredients make a fine dough, which you knead for let's say 10-20 minutes to release all the lovely gluten and then you can leave the dough to rise for 1 hour.


I like the look of that dough.  Afterwards, form your buns.


Let them proof - covered - until we remove the meat from the oven.
Once I have taken the meat from the oven, I wrapped it in aluminium foil and then into a kitchen towel and left it to rest for 1 hour.
Now that gives enough time to bake the buns. 20 minutes or until they start t get a brownish colour should do the job.


After several hours of cooking then, we should ave everything ready for eating. That is, you have to unwrap the meat and pull it apart, put  some meat on he buns and have some coleslaw with it.


That was fun, but it's really not something to make, when you haven't planned for someone else to join you for a meal. Ah, that's the price you have to pay, when you are alone ... you have to eat it all alone.
That was an enormous task. No, I didn't eat it all in one session. I had it over several days and then I used a lot of the meat also in a hot crust pastry  pie with grated cheese on top.


That was the first time I mad hot crust pastry.


Well, I had to add some mushrooms to the pie as well. 


I also added an ingredient I strongly regretted afterwards, but after the pie had cooled down, I was able to extract that again. Still, it was a difficult task to care properly to all this meat.


Well, since I know now, how things work I can have guests next time I have a go at pulled pork. Have you ever tried pulled pork? Or do you have similar mad experiences with cooking a huge amount of food for too few people to eat it?

4 comments:

  1. I love pulled pork and have made it in the slow cooker. Your pie looks really good too - I also would like to try a hot water crust one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot crust pastry is really simple - at least that was my impression - and you get such great results. I definitely will do it more often in the future.

      Delete
  2. I love that pie idea. Will have to try that one

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.