Tuesday 9 July 2013

Christine & Christian: Episode 9 - When Chorizo meets India

Things are not always running smoothly. In fact only sometimes they are. However, when it comes to the 'Christine & Christian' part here on my blog, things haven't been running at all and as I feel it, still things are not fine. Having some chapati or naan would have been the least to accompany today's dinner, but there was no such thing.
Today we are having some Indian food from Goa with a Portuguese influence ... which I have to change slightly on top of it. Originally the recipe is called Chorico Sausage with Dal. I had to turn it into Chorizo Sausage with Dal for I don't know where to get Portuguese chorico sausages here in the countryside. Chorico and chorizo - that sounds all the same to me. Therefore it should do no harm.


In the end it tasted delicious anyway. Still another funny thing, though, there were no chillies needed for the recipe. Alright, the sausage was spicy enough.

We start off, by frying two chopped onions until they are translucent. Then we add some garlic paste and two chopped up tomatoes and continue frying until the tomatoes are soft.
At this point some thin coconut milk is added. I fear I had to cheat at this point for convenience sake. The recipe mentioned something about the flesh of a coconut, water and a blender. I thought, well, I could cover this with a tin of coconut milk. I didn't go shopping for that anyway. I simply poured the content of the tin into a sieve and used the totally watery part for thin coconut milk and reserved the thick part to become thick coconut milk. Fine for me!
Good then, we bring the content of the pan to the boil, reduce the heat and add 250 g of soaked and drained lentils and let things simmer for 10 minutes or so.
After that we just need to add the cubed chorizo sausage and the thick coconut milk and let it go for yet another 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste and ...
... if you are  a better person, serve it together with rice, chapati, naan and some lovely vegetables, salad or something along that line.


I had to be satisfied with as things were. Then again ... at times ... I am easy pleased. Besides that, there is a simple rule for me: You can't go wrong with chorizo!

2 comments:

  1. The title says it all Chris, and as ever, your witty writing engages readers straight away! LOVELY post and recipe! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. That's what I needed to hear right now. That probably saved me.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.