Tuesday 22 January 2013

'Indulge: 70 Grain Free Desserts' e-book review

There are quite to many sicknesses and the like in these days, even despite the advances of science and medicine. I'm not quite sure whether I know anyone who can say he is totally healthy. I would say everyone has to carry his load, may it be an illness you have yourself or it's someone in the family. A lot of sicknesses you don't quite recognize when talking to people. Also clinical depression is on the rise - something that can't be quite understood.
Why am I telling you all this? If you are healthy, you may take things for granted. We never know when things strike us. However, it isn't my intention to get all gloomy here. I also don't want to tell you about the things I am fighting ...
... however, there are some diseases that are food related or have to do with food. Once I was thinking about getting a diet that would decrease inflammation, but somehow I managed things differently.
I only thought by myself, I really couldn't stand having any food intolerance or having to forgo any kind of foods for health reasons. Sadly, some have to. Finally that brings us to our today's subject.
On the food sector we can be quite happy that there are a lot of good people out there, thinking and trying things and working hard. Among those are Carol Lovett. She wrote an e-book in connection with a grain free diet: Indulge: 70 Grain Free Desserts.



Carol was so kind to provide me with a copy of her e-book to write a review. Well, I don't know whether I'm any good at it, because this is my first real book review.
However, I know what I like. As I already brought out, if you have to stick to a grain free diet, that can be quite shocking to you, but as the title of this book brings out, it doesn't mean you don't have the opportunity to indulge in some delicious desserts.
By just scanning through the pages I started drooling. So many scrumptious looking pictures are in the book. Due to this, a thought came to my mind - and forgive me, if I say this - had I been 20 years younger, I would say: 'I marry that woman!' - because those dessert are really mouthwatering and someone, who could do such lovely things, well ...
Let's get a bit more detailed, or rather let you share in what the book has to offer. As the title suggests there are 70 grain free dessert recipes in it. I selected one that right away connected to my brain ...


Taken from Indulge: 70 Grain Free Desserts

... I had to had a go. Technically I'm not so well equipped, so I find it easier to work with books made from real paper, but I managed to work with the electronic version ...

I got Carol's permission to give you the recipe. Here we go ...

Reese’s Bars
 

Crust:
1 cup almond flour/meal, (250 mL)
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, (30 mL)
2 tbsp raw honey, (30 mL)
1/8 tsp salt, (0.5 mL)


Filling:
1 cup almond butter or cashew butter, (240 mL)
3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, (45 mL)
3 tbsp raw honey, (15 mL)
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, (22.5 mL)
1/2 tbsp raw honey or more, (7.5 mL)
 

Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line the bottom of a 4x8 inch rectangular loaf pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine the ingredients for the crust. Evenly press the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.

Bake for 10-15 minutes. The crust is done when it is lightly brown and firm to the touch. Let the crust cool before spreading the filling.


In a bowl, combine the almond butter, coconut oil, raw honey. Mix and reserve about ¼ of the mixture for the chocolate topping. Spread the almond butter filling onto the cooled crust. Place the bars in the freezer to firm up before spreading the chocolate mixture on top of the almond filling.


To make the chocolate topping add unsweetened cocoa powder to the reserved almond butter filling and sweeten to taste.


Spread on top of the semi-frozen bars. Place in the fridge to firm. Store the bars in the refrigerator. Makes 8 servings




Those were really, really delicious and I am totally glad I still have some left to enjoy today.
I also want to show you, how they looked in my case.



I didn't think about it properly. So I didn't have any extra almonds at hand for decoration, but I also tried to bring a closer look.



Back to the book itself now. There are for sure many more lovely recipes to try from that book. After all it has 70 grain free dessert recipes in it. 
If you have to rely on a grain free diet, that book will give you a fairly good share of indulgence. The book is divided into 10 sections: Basics / Icing, Sauces & How-To's / Cake / Treats / Bars / Pie & Tarts / Cold Treats / Cookies / Fair Treats / Cupcake & Muffins. That gives you a brief overview.
You get for example also a good overview on the ingredients to use for a grain free diet. So you know what to look for. There is also a table that shows you what ingredient to substitute with which one. Very useful! That way you can also convert other recipes to grain free versions.
Should it be the case, you are not in need for a grain free diet the book helps you also to convert things back, if you want to.
Carol really put a lot of work into this book and it really paid of. The recipe bring you some good food joy and indulgence, even when you have to be careful what to eat.
If you are interested in having an even closer look at the book or you want a copy for yourself, then ... Click here to view more details ... at Ditch the Wheat.
I hope my introduction at the beginning didn't put you off, but at times I just have to say it as it is. Life isn't always smooth sailing and smiling ...

2 comments:

  1. Those look really, really delicious! Thank-you for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it. That was a really good one.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.