Saturday 20 October 2012

The Rise of the Eggs - Soufflé au Fromage

"El queso está vijeo y podrido!" I hope this isn't true for the cheese in your fridge. It isn't for mine anyway. I don't know why ... maybe something is wrong with my brain ... but from time to time sentences like this come up in my head. I only know it's from a movie and the scene was at a high school during a Spanish lesson. Do you know which movie it was?
When talking about cheese that is not old and mouldy - as in the evil kind of mould - I am in. I just had some goat's cheese in my breakfast. However, I don't want to write you about my breakfast.
Still the breakfast contained at least three ingredients that are also included in what I want to write you about.
While flipping through the pages of my latest issue of the Jamie Oliver magazine, I came across some French recipes for single persons, that is French recipes for one persons. Whatever!



I went for the soufflé - of course with cheese! I wanted to try a soufflé anyway. So far I didn't have the chance ... I mean so far I didn't bother doing it.
That should not be too difficult. Quickly done!
I just prepare my mould (I know, it can be confusing) with some butter and flour.
Then I go for the bechamel sauce with melting some butter and then spooning in flour and make it smooth before I pour in 75 ml of milk ... bit by bit by bit by bit ... until all is in.
Now let it thicken for 2-3 minutes while continuing to whisk it.
After that I add 35 g of cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper and let it all cool down for a while.
Once I'm tired of waiting, I separate an egg, add the yolk to the sauce and whisk the white like mad.
Again, when I'm tired, I carefully add the beaten egg white to the sauce and put everything in my prepared mould.
Together with some tomatoes (as seen on the photo) it all goes into the oven for 20 minutes or even a bit longer until the soufflé has browned sufficiently.
Well, I would have wished the egg would have risen a bit more. It didn't fully look like in the Jamie magazine, but taste wise it was good.
Now that I know how to do a soufflé ... do I really know?
I will try again. Maybe next time it will rise a bit more. 
Do you have any experiences with a soufflé?

11 comments:

  1. Haven't made a soufflé for years. Not sure I'm brave enough although yours does found lovely. I am a cheese fiend. Any time if day. I love it. Great way to use it here in a soufflé.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, what is the worst thing that can happen?

      Delete
  2. Your your souffles look exquisite. I've never even attempted a souffle, no idea why they've just been off my radar. This looks like a good place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tasty, especially with those lovely roasted tomatoes to go along with the souffle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tomatoes got an olive oil and balsamic vinegar treatment before they went together with the soufflé to the oven.

      Delete
  4. I've only ever made a souflee once. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great. This sounds great and even nicer with the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will do it more then once. I have to try a few more things.

      Delete
  5. Bravo for having the courage to make a soufflee for breakfast. It looks lovely! I tend to make twice baked soufflees to avoid disappointment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to the food department I consider myself courageous. When it comes to other areas, well, eh ...

      Delete
  6. Well done on this Chris! Looks amazing, I somehow just associate souffles with desserts, had never thought of a cheesey number like this. You make it sound straightforward......hopefully it will be in a few minutes when I try making it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope everything has worked out fine for you!

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.