Monday 27 August 2012

Quick Bagna Cauda Puff Pastry Pie

When cooking only for one person you quickly might end up with leftovers. On the other hand, that can happen to anyone, no matter for how many people you cook.
Anyway, I don't want to bother you with talk about leftovers. I might repeat myself and I don't like to check whether I wrote the same thing already. There comes a point in life, when you don't know anymore. Hm, well, there comes a point in life, when ... eh ... you have to do what you have to do. I'm not sure if I'm already there.
However, this has no relevance right now. 
In case you have been reading my blog already for longer then just this post (otherwise: Welcome to my blog!), you might remember those dishes from the Two Greedy Italians. One thing I had on the list was Bagna Cauda, which didn't turn out to be quite thin.
Having still some left of that and not wanting to simply dip bread into it, I planned for something else ...



How did I get there? Just read on about the Quick Bagna Cauda Puff Pastry Pie ...

Ingredients you may need (to adjust):
4 large potatoes
olive oil
3 onions
100 g cheddar cheese
100 ml bagna cauda (or few cloves of garlic, anchovies, double cream, butter)
about 300 g ready made puff pastry
salt, pepper
one beaten egg

Just do it:
Peel the potatoes and pre-cook them for 10-15 minutes.
Slice the onions in rings and soften them gently in a pan with some olive oil.
When the potatoes are ready and you are not afraid of the heat, cut them in cubes and add to the onions.
Away from the heat (we are finished with that heat now) pour the bagna cauda to it and grate the cheese in. If wanted, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
Line your pie dish with 3/5 of the pastry. Fill in your potato-onion-cheese mixture.



That is how it look in my case. Now it's time to cover it with the remaining pastry and then to brush it with the egg wash. After that sent it to the oven at 180°C for about 35-45 minutes until the pastry is nice and crispy (you'll figure it out).



Once it is ready, you can serve it with a simple salad. There might be leftovers again, when you are eating alone, though ... some things can not be avoided.
Well, we might have spent more then one hour cooking for that now. What in the world, does this have to do with QUICK Bagna Cauda Puff Pastry Pie?
Right! While that thing is in the oven, you can do something else and after all you don't have to prepare the pastry. That would have taken you still some more time.

7 comments:

  1. Take out those anchovies and this sound like a great invention Chris and a very tasty supper dish with a big bowl of salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that should be no great problem taking the anchovies out, Choclette.
      Thank you! Yes, and use the big bowl of salad when you have sufficient people for eating.

      Delete
    2. I have put this up on my fb Comfort Food page Chris (joyyamdaisy)

      Delete
  2. Nooo, I love anchovies. Leave them in for me. Very inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love anchovies so I would leave them in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we can agree on the following: you can either do it with anchovies or, if you don't like them, without.

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.